Members and guests at Bo'ness Station.
© John Yellowlees 2015
At Bo'ness the Scottish Railway Preservation Society houses the Museum of Scottish Railways, the largest such collection in Britain outside York.
With its large fleet of locomotives and carriages, the railway runs both the four-mile steeply-graded branch line to Manuel and tours which reach the main line via a nearby connection onto the Edinburgh & Glasgow railway.
A fine array of semaphore signals assembled from all over the Scottish network is controlled by the former Garnqueen South Junction signalbox, and the stations have been re-erected from elsewhere: Bo'ness contains the former Haymarket trainshed and the building from Wormit, while Birkhill came from Monifieth and a new project aspires to relocate Moniaive to Manuel.
© John G. Fender 2015
The Museum contains preserved North British and Great North of Scotland locomotives (the latter on loan from the Riverside Museum) and historic carriages including Scotland's only Royal saloon.
Under overhaul for return to service are two tank engines - Caledonian no 419 and BR 80105 - and an express tender locomotive BR 62712 Morayshire is about to go out of operational duty on expiry of its boiler ticket.
Modern traction is represented by diesel locomotives of Classes 25, 26, 27 and 47, there is the last intact Glasgow Blue Train and a particularly notable achievement has been the restoration of a Swindon Class 126 diesel multiple-unit, the only surviving first-generation BR long-distance DMU in a family of trains introduced from 1957 on Scottish routes including Stranraer-Ayr-Glasgow, Glasgow-Edinburgh and Aberdeen-Inverness.
The Scottish Region thanks Dougie and Mark Adamson for making the excellent arrangements and Stuart Sellar for hosting our most enjoyable visit.
Report by John Yellowlees. Photographs by John Yellowlees and John Fender.
The CILT Logo is a registered trademark of the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport
Unless otherwise stated, site and contents © John G. Fender 1997 - 2017
Site designed & maintained by John G. Fender